Date: Mon, 23 May 1994 12:02:46 EDT
From:Anne.R.Skinner@WILLIAMS.EDU
To: Multiple recipients of list SAFETY
     <SAFETY%UVMVM.BITNET@uwavm.u.washington.edu>
Subject: radon

I have had a question from one of our physical plant employees.  There is a
building in which a "radon recovery system" was installed, which runs 24
hours a day.  The basis for the installation was "readings 1% above the
acceptable levels".  Obviously he is wondering if this is really
neccessary.  (Instant disclaimer, I haven't asked whether the 1% was
measured before or after the system was installed, but I assume that the
system reduces the level below the limit).  Could anyone give me
information on the precision of determining acceptable levels?  Is 1%
really noticeable or did we buy into some distributor's ad campaign?  Any
other feel for the overall risk of radon these days?  My sense is that
smokers are at real risk, but what about children? dogs?
(We have a lot of variety among our students.)

Thanks --

Dr. Anne Skinner
Chemistry Department, Williams College
Williamstown, MA 01267