Charging for disposal on NIH grants

For those of you with government contracts like NIH and NSF contracts
or grants, you need to check with your Budgets and Grants Officer about
charging for waste disposal.  The GAO changed the accounting rules on
federal contracts and grants January 1, 1994.  Waste disposal is now
supposed to be considered an indirect cost to such contracts and grants.

Accordingly, we have set up an account that receives indirect costs
from grants on a monthly basis (as it is earned).  We now fund RAM,
bio and medical waste out of this account for such grants and contracts.

In the past, we encouraged faculty to write in costs, but were not
successful in capturing the funds.  With indirect costs, this process
is much simpler and more effective.

Hope this helps.

James Sims, Ph.D., Safety Officer, RSO
Safety Office
University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth
3500 Camp Bowie Blvd.
Fort Worth, TX  76107 - 2699
jimsims@unt.edu
817-735-2697 (voice)