Decon on Uranium storage cabinet

To Ninni Jacob, or anyone else who could help:

Ninni, on May 4 you mentioned that you had a safe in which radon daughters had
plated out after 30 years of uranium storage. I have a similar situation with
a storage cabinet. The Geology department had us get rid of the rocks, but
wanted to keep the cabinet. After repeated scrubbing with abrasive cleansers
there is still contamination on every inside surface of the cabinet.

My question: were you able to remove the radon daughters from the inside of
the safe, and, if so, how was it done? Our cabinet is a painted metal thing
with lots of nooks and crannies inside. I would like to at least get it to a
point that it could be used for rock storage again.

Any ideas are welcome.

Jim Herrold
University of Wyoming