Re: Special Computer Application. spreadsheet rx.

Spreadsheet application for shielding of x-ray rooms!
I am interested.
What should I do to receive it.
============================
Raymond Carrier
biomedical physics dept
Hopital Notre Dame
1560 Sherbrookes east
Montreal P.Q.
H2L 4M1.
============================

Well - If you are coming to SF - we can talk.

I'm SURE I am the ONLY person with a PC that has Perfect Calc - so I need to
move it to say Quattro Pro and compile it with Bailer.  (which would make it
less flexible).

I'd REALLY like to get a paper out of it (an therefore a trip, with the
politics around here).  But I loathe writing - and so have been sitting on
it for MANY years!

I almost presented it at the LAST SF HPS meeting - but when it got put to a
poster session - I withdrew it.

I guess I need a collaborator to get it out!!

I fear once I let it out to ANYONE - someone else will get the paper.

BUT it really does need to get out since I feel it has more functionality
than anything else out there and I do need to get someone else (less biased)
to similarly evaluate it.

Someone at a hospital with a LOT of new construction going on could give it
a real work out.

The biggest difficulty in getting the math accepted is that it is based on
observation and NOT theory - and its justification is that it works!

The combination of multiple kVp IS easily defensible.  Once that is done its
basic proof of quality - if you will - is that it seldom differs from the
NCRP tables by more than an HVL - and then only for very thin shields.  For
thick shields (2 lb or greater) it is right on.

I USED to have 2 versions - one concrete and one lead - these were more
accurate - combining the two materials lost some accuracy but gained
convenience.  Two me it is still - close enough.

Also there are means to simply improve its accuracy - but I use it in the
simplest way and get very good results.

I will say that having this spreadsheet method sure has made precise
calculations easier!