Emergency Telephone Number

Those of you who also subscribe to SAFETY may have already seen a similar
message from our EHS manager, but I am also interested from an RSO standpoint:

On shipping papers for hazardous materials the shipper must list an emergency
telephone number. The local DOT representative says this must be the number of
an actual person who can either answer questions about the materials in
shipment or transfer the call to someone who can. It is not sufficient to list
a number that has a voice-mail message after hours. We suggest having our EHS
office number for business hours and the campus Police for other times. This
seems suitable to this particular DOT rep.

To those of you who ship radioactive materials, or have employees carrying
around nuclear gauges, etc.... What do you use for an emergency phone number on
your shipping papers? We're conducting an informal poll.

Thanks for your help

Jim Herrold, RSO
University of Wyoming