Re: Emergency Telephone Number

On Thu, 2 Jun 1994, Jim F. Herrold wrote:

> Those of you who also subscribe to SAFETY may have already seen a similar
> message from our EHS manager, but I am also interested from an RSO standpoint:
>
> On shipping papers for hazardous materials the shipper must list an emergency
> telephone number. The local DOT representative says this must be the number of
> an actual person who can either answer questions about the materials in
> shipment or transfer the call to someone who can. It is not sufficient to list
> a number that has a voice-mail message after hours. We suggest having our EHS
> office number for business hours and the campus Police for other times. This
> seems suitable to this particular DOT rep.
>
> To those of you who ship radioactive materials, or have employees carrying
> around nuclear gauges, etc.... What do you use for an emergency phone number on
> your shipping papers? We're conducting an informal poll.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Jim Herrold, RSO
> University of Wyoming

At the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Radiation Safety Program, we
use a cellular telephone for the 24 hour emergency number.  The "bag"
phone has rechargable batteries.  The "duty" person carries the phone
with them (or forwards it to their home number when they are home) and
passes it off to the next "duty" person as needed.

While our campus police have a 24 hour number and they have our call list,
if we are on "duty" and need to go out for something (be away from the
phone), there is no way for them to contact us.  The cellular works well
and because of a campus discount (Ameritech) it isn't that expensive.

John Krezoski, Ph.D., Director
Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee