desperately seeking electroscopes and electrometers

          Please help!

          Many of you know about the collection I manage at ORAU
          devoted to the history of health physics and
          radiation detection. Its something you need to visit the
          next time you're near Oak Ridge. For those who can't
          make it to Oak Ridge, almost the entire collection (14
          display cases) and material from other collections should be
          on exhibit in Boston for the HPS annual meeting. In fact,
          its the official HPS collection.

          I'm pleading for donations of old instrumentation,
          especially old electroscopes and electrometers, but also GMs
          (pre 1950), ion chambers, proportional counters, unusual
          versions of the radiation warning sign etc.  The best place
          to find electrometers and electroscopes is in an old physics
          or radiology lab and the best people to ask are old
          physicists and radiologists.

          To give you an idea of what we have: electrometer of Robert
          Millikan, cloud chamber of Carl Anderson, electrometer of
          Victor Hess, a variety of things from Glenn Seaborg,
          electroscopes from Carl Braestrup, Gioacchino Failla, Robley
          Evans, Marshall Brucer, the USGS and the NBS, film badges of
          E.O.  Wollan (first person to use the title health
          physicist), fuel and graphite from CP-1, a detector that
          went to the moon, material from the Cavendish Lab in
          Cambridge etc. . .  Its a lot of fun and a must-see for an
          HP.

          Please help if you can, but certainly give me a call when
          you are in the neighborhood.

          Regards

          Paul Frame   framep@orau.gov
          Oak Ridge Assoc. Universities