Scanning Laser Calculations

If one has a scanning laser is the exposure duration determined by the scan
speed and the resulting time it takes the beam to cross the diamter of the
pupil ? Is there anything here I am overlooking ? I know the speed at the
position of the exposed person and the beam diamater at this location. Does
it make any real difference that beam moves across the pupil so the pupil is
partially expsoed during the beginning of passage and then partially exposed
again as it passes past the pupil ? In this particular case, depending on
where one is standing, the beam diameter ranges from 4 mm to 8 mm w/ 8 being
the most likely diameter.

Thanks for any insight - I get to do these calculations about once every two
years and due to old age am starting to loose coherence with all my previous
training.

Pete C.