On the Soapbox

Forgive me for another indulgence.

Jim Muckerheide has made an excellent point and has made it much more
eloquently than the babble I sent a few weeks ago.

As HPs we have to study and be open to the entire spectrum of radiation
effects knowledge.  If we continue to quote risk verus low doses using the
linear hypothesis, then there is no hope for continued use of nuclear
technology in this country.

Just reading some of the recent postings to this BBS, I can see we're
already in real trouble.  When we have HPs advising against the use of
exit signs containing tritium because of the hypothetical risk associated
with HTO exposure, not withstanding the very real risk of not seeing an
illuminated exit sign and dying in a fire, it is very discouraging.

Extrapolating measurable effects at high doses to "predicted" effects at
low doses is fine and dandy for protecting the worker in the industrial
environment.  However, when the same methodology is applied to the much
lower exposures of the general public, we can see why the use of nuclear
technology will be lost.  By using the stochastic model and extrapolating
to zero exposure, we inexorably support the ridiculous statement: "There is
no safe level of radiation exposure."  As HPs we use the BEIR V data of
fatal cancer risk to the public of 5 E-4 per rem to limit public
exposures.  So, when we try to site a low-level waste facility and claim
the maximum exposure to the public would be 15 mr, the anti's extrapolate
the dose to the population and "predict" the number of deaths that will
occur from the "dump" and then threaten to kill (not just hypothetically)
those who propose a site.

As HPs we should not expend our efforts for our short term employment
interests by finding and preventing the low doses.  Rather, we should
begin an all-out effort to re-educate ourselves and most importantly the
public so that we can maintain the use of nuclear technology in our country.

Optimistically Yours,

Leo Bobek,
WPI