Re: Anybody home?

There have been a couple of previous threads on HP software.  A short
summary from my memory is that as far as commercial packages go there
is CHAAMP and HP-Assistant both are expensive but rumors say they are
coming down.  Most people I've talked to say you can't tell much about
either from the demos.  I think most places have gone the home grown route
which if you take programmers salaries into account is even more expensive.
Home grown tends to be tailored specifically to the home from which it
grew.  I have a system using the Informix data base running under UNIX.
I am in the process of making major upgrades to the package while
porting it to a current version of Informix.  I  should be pretty well
done this summer.  The old version I am using now is not available so
my  code isn't transportable to new sites until the updates are complete.
I would be willing to discuss trading code once I am done.  We can talk
about what I have in the package now.  It still will not be cheap.  You
would need an SCO UNIX system running on a INTEL system plus the informix
software.  Informix is available for other UNIX platforms, but is more
expensive.  To get started Informix SE plus Informix SQL would cost
something over $2000 together.  UNIX is probably $1500 to $2000 I don't
remember exactly.  The whatever you would spend on hardware.

Informix is also available for DOS.  I have toyed with the idea of
porting it to DOS, but that would require money out of my pocket so
I would have to charge, market, etc.  Anyway, anyone who is interested
can call and I can explain what is/will be in our system.  Like I
said before home grown from here may not do what you need.  When complete
our system will have:

Package receiving
Inventory
Film Badge exposures
Surveys
Active  and Inactive labs
Calibrations
Repairs
Leak Tests
Sources
Iodine Users
Thyroid bioassay
Cost Recovery
Fees
Principal Investigator
Authorizations
Isotope catalog information
Radionuclide information
Account codes
Filmbadge series codes
Instruments
Waste container and inventory information
Other stuff, etc.

Many of these have been in use since about 1987 some is new with the new
port.  Feel free to call if you have any questions.

Dale E. Boyce, Director
The University of Chicago
Office of Radiation Safety
(312) 702-6299