Re: DOE Order 5480.25

> I need some help and info from any one who has an "accelerator".
> For purposes of 5480.25 how do you define an accelerator?
> LLNL says it has to accelerate ions to > 1 mev.
> LANL says, I believe, that machines whose sole purpose is to produce x-rays
> are not "accelerators", regardless of energy.
> What is your definition (briefly)?
> I'm particularly interested in hearing from:
> Argonne
> Brookhaven
> LBL
> SLAC
> However, what about others who come under the order?

Although we are a very small DOE facility, we currently have four
accelerators and one more on the way.  We define accelerator the same
way that DOE 5480.25 defines them:

Part 6. DEFINITIONS.

     a.  Accelerator is a device employing electrostatic or
         electromagnetic fields to impart kinetic energy to
         molecular, atomic or sub-atomic particles and, for
         purposes of this Order, capable of creating a
         radiological area.

DOE 5480.25 part 4. EXCLUSIONS lists three specific types of
accelerators that would be excluded from the above definition:

     a.  Unmodified commercially available units such as electron
         microscopes, ion implant devices, and x-ray generators which
         are acceptable for industrial applications;

     b.  Accelerator facilities not capable of creating a radiological
         area; and

     c.  Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program accelerators which are
         separately covered under Executive Order 12344 (42 U.S.C.
         7158, Note).

Basically, if it creates an area which requires posting radiation
signs, we call it an accelerator unless the machine's only purpose is
to produce x-rays.

Hope this helps,

Tracy

Tracy N. Tipping                                Work: (913) 532-6782
Laboratory Safety Officer                       FAX:  (913) 532-6806
James R. Macdonald Laboratory                   Home: (913) 539-1378
Cardwell Hall                                   Amateur Radio: N0OEY
Kansas State University                         tipping@phys.ksu.edu
Manhattan, KS 66506-2604                        tipping@ksuvm.bitnet