Re: Mixed Waste

>  Does anyone know of a disinfectant that is sutable for mixing with HFP
> scintillation fluid and does not Phosphor (?).

Irradiation was a very useful tool for inactivating the bad bugs in
the olden days (we used it for lassa, ebola anthrax etc.).  The
following are common classes of disinfectants used to inactivate
tissue samples:

    Alcohols
    radiation
    quaternary ammonium compounds
    phenolics (o-phenylphenol)
    aldehydes (formaldehyde)
    halogens

I would guess that the phenolics have the most promise although I
have never put any in LSC and looked for quenching or lumanescence.

If you are working with brain tissue you may be required to consider
unconventional viral agents (scrapie like agents, prions,
Crutzfeldt_Jacob disease) which can be very resistant to
inactivation.  Your researcher should be familiar with such things.

BTW, as to programing, I have to admit that Hector and Ted are right
in general.

Name: Edwin Jackson
EFJ@ASBHR.BYU.EDU
Environmental Coordinator