Re: Mixed Waste

> Has a contagious organism been associated with Alzheimer's?  If not,
> it's going to be hard to prove that the tissue is non-infectious.
>
> Would irradiating the tissue samples destroy them for experimental
> purposes?

I think this is a "universal precautions" issue, as oppesed to an
Alzheimer's pathogen (if there is such a thing) issue.  Am I right?

If so, then, to satisfy the occupational safety people (OSHA-flavored
agencies, e.g.) you'll need to use an EPA approved disinfectant.  Gamma
rays (regardless of their ability) were not on that list last time I
looked...

Generally speaking, the OSHA-types are looking at HIV and Hep-B as
pathogens of concern, but any pathogen deserves attention in this regard.

John

*John DeLaHunt, EH&S      *The Colorado College       *
*jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu*1125 Glen Avenue           *
*hazmat-owner@csn.org     *Colorado Springs, CO  80905*
*VOX: (719)389-6678       *FAX: (719)635-3177         *
    This advice is worth what you paid for it
            and is hereby disclaimed.