Re: DECAY-IN-STORAGE

Oh... decay in storage.  We have been decaying our solid and liquid P-
32, P-33, S-35 and I-125 prior to disposal for 10 half-lives.
Prior to disposal, the containers are surveyed/sampled.  We also
use 5 gal carboys in our waste room for liquids, and put them in lab
tubs for a secondary container.  Once the liquid is disposed of, we
re-use the carboys. Solid waste is bagged and put in 55 gal drums
(s-35, I-125) or in tubs also (P-32).  We had to ammend our license
to 120 day half-life decay, but it is worth the hassel.

Bruce Busby
Idaho State University
Radiation Safety Office

All opinions are mine,