Re: DECAY-IN-STORAGE

You should be able to sell your administration on the cost savings
alone!  We figure our waste volume sent for burial decreased by 60-70%.
Our investigators segregate by isotope in the lab using color coded (and
marked) pails.  Waste is then packed into 4.5 cu ft boxes, marked and
stored.  Quarterly inspections of the boxes are performed.  The exception
is S-35 which we compact into drums (for volume savings).  At the end of
decay time all waste is shredded in an industrial shredder to obliterate
labels.  Beta waste is generally held 10 half lives.  Gamma waste we usu.
need to hold 15-20 half lives.

A good starting point is Part 35.92.

Bill Fendt U of DE