Re: BF3 Neutron Detectors

I don't know exactly what your application is, but you may want to consider
He3 detectors.  We've purchased nearly 100 He3 tubes from Reuter Stokes and
have been very pleased with the quality.  We use them for measuring
transuranic waste.  On the other hand, you may be able to "inherit" BF3 tubes
that folks can't dispose of because of RCRA issues (a potentially nasty issue
with BF3).

As an aside, we also use Li6-glass scintillators when fast-timing is required.
There are also a few other detectors currently under development here at the
laboratory.

Jeff Chapman
Applied Radiation Measurements Dept.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory