Re: get a load of this!

Leo Bobek (bobek@wpi.edu) wrote:

>The regulators are controlled by Congress who are in turn responding to
>the radiation paranoria of the public.

I would add, however, that the regulators influence Congress and the public
perceptions, directly and indirectly, for their own mission to expand their
influence and budgets. They carry the primary dire messages to Congress.
Even when they "disagree" with anti-nuclear activists, they are very
restrained, do not present facts but "judgements", and engage in and use this
"public involvement" to the result that the agency is gets more power and
authority ("Don't throw me in that briar patch, Br'er Fox!")

>Again - WE must respond to the over-regulation by educating ourselves about
>the TRUE (not extrapolated!) low level radiation effects and then EDUCATE
>the public.  WE are the professionals.  WORK with your local HPS or ANS
>section.  Setup a Teachers Workshop.  Volunteer to speak at a high-school.
>Write letters of response to negative media reports.  Better yet, write your
>CONGRESSMAN and explain how this over-regulation is affecting the
>research being done.  If WE could turn around the NRC Fee Policy, why
>can't WE reverse this regulatory insanity???

Agreed. But we must also respond to the regulators with dispationate facts
and expectations that requirements be related to public health and
protection, and that Congress and economic interests know the lack of
benefit from regulations, and laws.

>'Nuff Said - Now Get to Work!

OK!

Jim Muckerheide