Re: Training

>                      Subject:                              Time:  1:05 PM
>  OFFICE MEMO         radiation training                    Date:  8/2/94
> hello,
> I am developing a course for people who are physically present in posted rad
> areas but who do not work directly with the rad materials.  If anyone has
> already invented materials pertinent to a medical research center I would be
> grateful for copies of your training materials or for pointing me to good
> references.
>
> Thanks
> Sharyn Baker

Please find below a copy of an outline of our Occasional Visitor Orientation.
This has now been in place for two years for ancillary personel such as
painters, janitors and maintance personel.  Our facility is a small accelerator
with a substatial amount of neutron radiation.

Occasional Visitor Orientation

1) Introduce the vistor to the trifoil symbol and its meaning as a warning
   symbol in the laboratory.

2) Demonstrate the use of the radioactive hazards signs for posting of
   an area.

3) Explain the use of radioactive tape to mark an area of possible
   exposure.

4) Explain the background radiation the sources and the amount.

5) Point out location and radiation levels around the safe, where sealed
   sources are stored, when closed and when open.

6) Point out the location of stored sources in the large target room
   and the use of on of these sources in the calibration of the monitor
   detectors.

7) Explain function of the monitor detectors.  Explain polyethelene
   shielding is needed to accruately measure dose especially due to both
   neutrons and gammas.  ( A reasonable approach may be to point out
   that neutrons must be detected by their capture by boron in the
   boron trifluoride and xenon tubes while electromagnetic radiation (x-rays and
   gamma-rays) can be detected directly by their ionization. )

8) Point out the meters for all monitored areas with special emphasis
   on the garage or dock area.

9) Identify Faculty and Staff as people to ask questions about the local setup.    Explain the policy of ``If in doubt, please ask.''

10) If interested and possible, give visitor a tour of the entire
    facility to help in understanding the general terms used and the normal
    operation of the lab.

         Dr. Thomas N. Massey
         E-Mail: massey@oual3.phy.OHIOU.EDU