I-125 bioassay

Fido-To: hps

I have a question in regards to action levels for I-125 bioassays and
interpretation of the results. Based on reg guide 8.9 rev 1, I am using an
evaluation level of 0.02 ALI and an investigation level of 0.1 ALI. This
comes out to 0.3 uCi and 1.5 uCi respectively for a quarterly period. (I
just took the 60 uCi ALI and divided by 4). That part seemed fairly straight
forward. Are these similar to what others are using? The next question is in
using NUREG CR 4884 intake retention fractions (IRF) :( . There is no IRF
listed for I-125 in the thyroid. In the text, it suggests using the IRF for
the stable isotope and multiplying by the decay factor. Well, I looked for
IRF for stable I-127 in the thyroid but no such luck. I then used the IRF
for I-131 in thyroid, divided by I-131 decay factor to arrive at what should
be stable IRF, and then multiplied by I-125 decay factor. When the IRF's are
plotted for 40 days on a semi-log graph, I-125 lays in between the stable
and I-131 lines and everything looks reasonable. The specific example given
in the text used I-125. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that the phys.
1/2 life was used and not the effective 1/2 life in calc the decay factor.
It does make some difference as I went back and used the effective half life
and compared the results. Which should it be? Any help on this would be
appreciated.
 Thanks,
 Roger Moroney

--- Maximus-CBCS v1.02
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Check Source BBS (1:233/13)
--
HPS - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)