Re: Radium Paint

Dave --

Re your question regarding the radium contg radioluminescent paint:  Bob
Schlenker at Argonne National Lab (see HPS Handbook for address etc.)
could provide you with the information you require in great detail.  The
paints, to my knowledge, had a variety of formulations but the Ra-226
(either alone or in combination with Ra-228) was usually present as
either the chloride or the sulfate.  The phosphor was ZnS although others
may have been used.  Argonne Nat'l Lab did a large study of the radium
dial painters that ended in 1992.  The US Transuranium and Uranium
Registries have the tissues, records and artifacts from that study.  We
would be pleased to talk with you by telephone regarding the radium dial
painters/painting if you desire.  John Russell, 509-375-9315 [ex-Argonne
National1 Lab]; Ron Kathren, 509-375-3316.  Paul Frame and Dick Toohey,
both @ ORISE may also be able to provide information.