Future Disposal Costs

   The ACURI Association's fifth annual meeting, August 25 & 26, certainly
left me with a greater appreciation of the administrative consequences of
the uncertain availability of a permanent disposal facility.  Planning,
although seemingly impossible under such circumstances, is even more
necessary to minimize the impact.  The questionnaire Charles Smith posted
on August 23, covered many of the areas of concern.  I'd like to add one
more.

   Is anyone preparing for the cost of disposing the accumulated waste at
that uncertain date in the future when a facility opens.  If we're going to
have to wait on the order of ten years, putting aside funds annually seems
appropriate, but at what rate?  Does anyone have a rational approach to
estimating what those costs might be?  How about an irrational approach?

David Stutts
Safety Coordinator
Franklin and Marshall College
P.O. Box 3003