Re: That pesky plutonium.

>> Hypothetically, let us presume that a series of alpha detector
>>  calibration standards were uncovered, consisting of several (less than
>>  12) metal foils doped somehow with plutonium-239.  The total activity
>>  of these foils is less than 2 microcuries.  The facility at which the
>> foils were discovered has no further use for them.
>>
>>  In the interest of cost-saving, as well as resource conservation, one
>>  wonders what the potential _legal_ market for these foils might be.
>
> The potential _legal_ market for these items is spelled out in 10 CFR
> 70.19, a beacon of relative sanity among the restrictive regulations
> we've come to know and love.  Best of luck, and don't forget the
> documentation!

Allow me to sully that hypothetical waters a little more.  Let us say, for
the sake of argument, that the calibration standards were home-made in the
fifties, and, as such, have no documentation whatsoever.

John

*John DeLaHunt, EH&S      *The Colorado College       *
*jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu*1125 Glen Avenue           *
*hazmat-owner@csn.org     *Colorado Springs, CO  80905*
*VOX: (719)389-6678       *FAX: (719)635-3177         *
    This information is worth what you paid for it
            and is hereby disclaimed.