Re: Financial Assurance for educational institutions.

On Thu, 8 Sep 94 11:21:56 -0500 John DeLaHunt said:
>Our friends at the Radiation Control Division of State Health have
>announced that we must carry "financial assurance" in the event that we go
>out of business, or choose to dispose of the several (small) sources of
>fissile material onsite.
>
>This would make sense to me if we were certifying welds with gamma sources,
>or similar.  In reality, we never plan on going out of business, and the
>sources will be useful for a VERRRRY long time to come.
>
>Have other colleges and/or universities had to put up said "financial
>assurance," and if so, how was it accomplished?
>
>Thanks in advance.

John:
   Whether or not you have to supply finincial assurance depends on your
agreement state status.  I believe that Colorado is an agreement state.
If you are in an agreement state, then the state sets finincial assurance
requirements.  These requirements generally must be as strict as NRC
requirements, but the state may at any time impose stricter requirements.
In non-agreement states such as Connecticut, institutions such as The
University of Connecticut are required to only file a Statement of Intent
that the funds will be made available at the time of decommissioning.
   This may not be the case in Colorado since it is an agreement state and
the State of Colorado has the authority to regulate the nuclear industry.
I would suggest that you talk to other academic institutions in Colorado
to see what they are doing.
   Sorry I answered you question withour really answering the question. Good
luck.

Ed Wilds
Radiation Safety Manager
The University of Connecticut