Answere to Alpha Sources designed NOT to emit alphas

{Original Msg: 'Alpha sources designed NOT to emit alphas' from <root@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
{
{Has anyone had experience with the NRC license condition concerning the
{leak testing of sealed sources that are alpha emitters (Pu, U, Np) but not
{designed to emit alphas.  These would be exempt from leak testing per the
{license condition, but I am not comfortable with how (and if) it applies to
{PuBe and AmBe sources and encapsulated Pu sources.
{

We had 6 PuBe sources in Nuclear Engineering Dept UC Berkeley.
They were, as I recall leak tested semiannually (2 times a year).
Generally, Alpha emitting sources are unsealed and license conditions
require quarterly wiping.  Other sources are "sealed" and require
wipe testing every six months again usually by license condition.
I now work for NRC regulated VA and part 35 contains a wipe test
requirement I beleive as well as our license.  Hope this helps.

VA Med Center, 1055 Clermont St.
Denver, CO 80220; 303-399-8020 x2447
FAX 303-393-4656, vernig,peter@forum.va.gov