Alpha sources designed NOT to emit alphas

Forwarded-from: MIKEG

1.  Sealed alpha sources (fully encapsulated) are leak tested because
of the activity limits at most DOE facilities.  This includes the
usual neuton generator sources (PuBe, PuLi, AmBe, etc.).  I believe
the NRC license condition that you mention was limited to sealed
sources that had disruptable surfaces (even if the surface was too
thick to allow alpha emission--certain plaque sources e.g.).  I am
guessing that AFRRI didn't have something strange requiring a
special condition.
The opions expressed above are    |  The opinions above also do not
those of the author alone and do  |  represent those of anyone else
not represent those of the        |  I ever did work for anywhere
Stanford University or the US     |  else in the known universe.
Department of Energy.             |

                         - - - - Forwarded Text - - - -