Re: Rad. induced heart attacks

Are there any statements you could pull from recent BEIR reports to support
your contention?  For instance, p. 4 of the 1980 report says "For somatic
effects other than cancer and developmental changes (e.g., cataracts, aging
and infertility), the available data do not suggest an increased risk with
low-dose, low-LET exposure of human populations."  You won't find any direct
statement concerning heart attacks there, I believe, but maybe there are
statements you could logically use to build an argument.

I don't think that this is as desirable an approach to take, but can you look
at the radiation environment in the building in question (or in your physics
dept.) and say that there is nothing sufficiently energetic to irradiate the
heart?  I know it doesn't lay the issue to rest but you might be able to
deflect the issue while you look for your definitive radiation-induced heart
attack statement.

Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University