Soapbox time (was Re: Rad. induced heart attacks)

Greetings, friends.

Pat Beyer writes,
>I would think that the Medical Examiner would be able to give you a
>statement about this. That would probably carry more weight because he is
>an M.D. and not a "Scientist".  It's pretty much their job to determine
>these things.......
     .....in individual cases (cause of death), I agree.  Someone who has
seen the bodies can address whether the people were exposing themselves to
higher than average coronary risk by smoking, high-fat diets, being
sedentary, or some combination of these.

But whatever the MD says, nobody is more qualified to address what low-level
radiation can and cannot do - the question "everyone" seems to be asking -
than a Health Physicist.  Being walloped with such questions gives one the
perfect opportunity to educate one's local community.  (You've got their
attention for a change!)  One can use such an opportunity to advance, or to
damage, your reputation, and that of your profession.

Don't jump to conclusions - "In a multitude of counselors there is wisdom."
Read lots of these responses (I'm almost sure not to be the last to
follow-up), and talk to colleagues in your institution, and to your
Communications or Public Relations officer.  But here are some off-hand
recommendations from yours truly:

1 - Trot out some of the tomes of data on Biological Effects of Ionizing
Radiation.  Impress people with how much is known and measured, to counter
the prevailing myth that "no one knows what the effects might be" (e.g.
giant preying mantises, etc.).  If you're not familiar with the literature,
maybe someone on the net could play the expert consultant and issue a press
release for you.

2 - Use this as an illustration of how large are the *lifestyle risks*
people take willingly, compared to the puny risks associated with
occupational (much less non-occupational) above-background radiation doses.

3 - Perhaps this is just an example of CLUSTERING.  It happens.  Any
statistician-friend in your math department would back you up.

4 - Whatever you do, please don't let your (conspiracy of?) silence be the
word by which you, the "radiation authority," are remembered when this
incident is over.

NOTE - the above are simply raw brainstorming and rants.  Cook and season
well to tasts before serving.

Albert
Albert Lee Vest    avest@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
health physicist        Office of Radiation Safety
(614)292-0122            The Ohio State University
My employer did not review or approve this message.