Response to Ed Wilds RE Induced Heart Attack

{Original Msg: 'Rad. induced heart attacks' from <root@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
{
{Fellow Netters:
{   I have been asked to document that radiation does or does not cause
{heart attacks.  The University experienced two deaths to heart attacks
{on two consecutive nights in a department here on campus.  Now everyone
{feels these deaths are related to working conditions.  The latest theory
{is that this department is located next to physics and since everyone
{knows that RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL is used here -- THE HEART ATTACKS WERE
{SOMEHOW INDUCED BY RADIATION!!
{   I have stated that an exposure low doses of radiation would not cause this
{type of specific biological effect.  Now I have been asked to show some
{type of documentation to that this is the case.  My question is:
{
{      Does anyone have any information on this topic?
{   or
{      Does anyone know where I could possible get this information?
{
{
{Thanks in advance for your help.
{
{Ed Wilds
{Radiation Safety Manager
{The University of Connecticut

I had occasion to read a case review recently.  The physician indicated
that high dose rate therapy had been reported to be associated with
coronary artery disease.  I sent him a message asking if he could supply
a reference.  Since then I noted that someone responded to your message
with several references.  If I get a response I will relay it to you
via RADSAFE.

The other thought that occurs to me is that if you have done surveys of
your Nuclear Medicine area to comply with the New part 20 and can put
some numbers on likely exposure then you can relate that to the numbers
from high dose rate therapy and CAD.  Another comparison that might be
useful would be background figures available in NCRP 94.  Denver's
background is reported 50% higher than U.S. average.  Don't know what
kind of incidence of CAD and heart attack but would be surprized if it
is significantly off the mean.

VA Med Center, 1055 Clermont St.
Denver, CO 80220; 303-399-8020 x2447
FAX 303-393-4656, vernig,peter@forum.va.gov