Re: Blood Irradiation

Hi to all:

I was told that my first reply did not make it.

A day ago, or so, Hector Mandel wrote:

>I'm interested in learning more about how blood banks use irradiators to
>sterilize blood.  What are the types of irradiators in use and what are the
>doses involved.  I imagine that it would make sense to irradiate plasma, but
>not whole blood.  Can anyone out there provide some references or a short
>summary?

>Thanks.

>Hector Mandel
>RSO, UIUC

 Here at UW-Madsion Clinical Science Center, Gammacell-1000 irradiator is used.
They come\came in 4 models A, B, C, D, and E (depending on No. of pencils and
their activities, 1 - 4 pencils & 600 - 2,400 Ci).  Our Hospital purchased
theirs in 1984, I believe, from Atomic Energy of Canada (Nordion International
Inc.) at a source strength of 6.18 x E+4 R/hr to the center of the sample
chamber, and samples were irradiated for 3 min. (currently, irradiation time is
adjusted to account for decay) .

I hope this helps.

Abdul Ben-Zikri
ARSO, UW-Madsion

NOTE: Third hand info. & the usual disclaimer.