Badging Workers

Hi, Radsafers:

This is to provide yet another reason for badging workers who are known to
be less than 10% of limits, and where it is therefore not required for
health or compliance.  We have discussed this many times; and when the
revised 10 CFR 20 went into effect, we were asked, "Why badge anyone when
not required?"

Answers are
1.      Provides a service to workers
2.      Provides data for historical record
3.      Helps maintain consciousness of what they work with
4.      Biggest and most useful reason:  The new general public limit, 100
mrem per year is difficult or costly to demonstrate without badge data for
workers handling rad. materials.  We were asked about ancillary personnel,
how we assure compliance with general public limit.  We wrote into our
license that by demonstrating <10% (ALARA) compliance for rad workers
through badge data, that the ancillary personnel and public at large were
in compliance by corrolary.  We were able to write that into our license,
and have just passed NRC inspection muster for general public compliance
using this rationale and our rad. worker exposure data.
5.      Badges provides information as to the absence or presence of
abnormal spikes

Another facet of this has to do with public relations.  How do you suddenly
justify to  workers who have been required to wear badges (are inspected
for it, enforced, etc.) that they no longer need them?  Our whole tower of
safety requirements under the law creates and requires a consciousness of
"exposure risk" and monitoring for these potential risks.  Now, we surprise
them with "You no longer need a badge because it's not required by law."
This would be somewhat contradictory to everything we and they have to do
for "safety" and compliance.

Just my few cents worth.

Kristin

All comments herein contained are my own opinions, expostulating or
rantings, and are not necessarily those of my employer or institution.

Kristin Erickson, Radiation Safety Officer
Office of Radiation, Chemical and Biological Safety
C124 Research Complex-Eng.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, Michigan 48824
Telephone: (517) 355-5008   Fax: (517)353-4871   Email: 10525kfb@msu.edu