Re: Rad. induced heart attacks

Jim --

Thanks for your interesting note.  As a quick comment on the value of a
person-rem, note that the $1000 figure has not been escaled since its
inception about 20 years ago -- $3000 might be a better number today.  We
seem to have lost sight of what the enginers used to call benefit/cost
ratio (the social scientists turned it around to the now used cost:benefit
ratio).  Of course as health physicists we must not forget that our
primary mission is protection, which regrettably gets obscured on
occasion.  But enough philosophy; now to the meat:  Many thanks for your
kind invitation to present a paper in Philadelphia; the meeting is so far
in the future that I might actually have time to prepare something half
way decent!  In any event, I may just do that.

Regards,

Ron