Re: quarterly vs. monthly TLDs revisited

To "Curious in Illinois"  alias Johnny Brandon:

Officially? Our policy for monitoring personnel is the "most likely to receive
10% of the regulated limits." Obviously we are doing more than we require.
By practice, we put badges on those who directly handle high-energy beta or
gamma emitters, and neutron probe users. I could do case-by-case evaluations to
determine if badges are REALLY necessary, but why bother? It is much easier to
put the workers at ease by monitoring them. Area monitoring works if you have a
source that doesn't move around too much, but in biomedical research we don't
have that option. What it comes down to is this: it's easier to demonstrate to
the NRC that we have an ALARA program by doing what we consider reasonable:
that is, spending $1.50 a month per person to look out for the rare cases where
someone gets a measurable exposure.

Just my opinion.

Jim Herrold, UW