Re: Badging Workers

On Mon, 19 Sep 94 07:43:52 -0500 Leo Bobek said:

>The rule on dose to the public states that the DOSE in an unrestricted
>area will not exceed 2mrem in any one hour.  This is different from
>maintaining a DOSE RATE less than 2mrem/hr.  Either your regulator does
>not understand the reg. (not unusual) or what they expect of you has been
>miscommunicated.
>
>Is the lab an unrestricted area?

Leo:
   The labs are considered unrestricted.  I have a feeling that the NRC wants
us to make our laboratories restricted areas.  At past inspections they have
stated that this was their preference.  My impression of what he meant by
2mrem/hr was to maintain a dose less that 2mrem in any one hour which would
translate into an average dose rate of 2mrem/hr for any full hour period.
I have not received my deficiency letter yet so I don't know if this got
past his supervisor.  My question was basically, what are other institutions
doing to demonstrate compliance?

Ed