RE: Caution vs. Danger vs. Warning

> I need a little assistance. I have been asked which of the
> following is most appropriate for a radiation danger sign.
> (The operators of the equipment are assumed to be knowledgeable.)

[beautiful asciiart sign removed here...]

I would check with 29 CFR 1910.96 and/or your state regs on analytical
x-ray eqt.

> My colleagues and I feel that caution may be too soft a term,
> while danger may be too severe.

Both of my copies of the above used CAUTION as the word of choice.  Your
mileage may vary.

How about WARNING?

29 CFR 1910.145(f)(5) Danger tags shall be used in major hazard situations
where an immediate hazard presents a threat of death or serious injury to
employees.  Danger tags shall be used only in these situations.

29 CFR 1910.145(f)(6) Caution tags shall be used in all minor hazard
situations where a non-immediate or potential hazard or unsafe practice
presents a lesser threat of employee injury.  Caution tags shall be used
only in these circumstances.

29 CFR 1910.145(f)(7) Warning tags may be used to represent a hazard
level between "Caution" and "Danger" instead of the required "Caution"
tag, provided they have a signal word of "Warning," an appropriate major
message, and otherwise meet the tag criteria of paragraph (f)(4) of this
section.

> Kris

[really large sig file clipped from here....]

John

*John DeLaHunt, EH&S      *The Colorado College       *
*jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu*1125 Glen Avenue           *
*hazmat-owner@csn.org     *Colorado Springs, CO  80905*
*VOX: (719)389-6678       *FAX: (719)635-3177         *
    This information is worth what you paid for it
            and is hereby disclaimed.