Caution vs. Danger vs. Warning

To all interested:

We place a sign on the doors to analytical x-ray machine labs, and  diagnostic
x-ray rooms that states:  "CAUTION, X-RAY" with the radiation symbol, the PI's name
and phone # (sometimes e-mail address), University Radiation Safety #, and the
University Police #.  On the x-ray tube housing we place a 1" x 2"  sticker that
states "CAUTION, HIGH INTENSITY X-RAY BEAM", and near the x-ray on-off switch (in
most cases) we place a 1" x 2" sticker that states"CAUTION,  THIS EQUIPMENT
PRODUCES X-RADIATION WHEN ENERGIZED."  Electron microscopes are also labelled
albeit the laboratory doors are not, except in two labs which have ASTEM's and an
X-ray photoelectron spectrophotometer.  These requirements are spelled out in the
State of Illinois regulations.

Paul W. Shafer
University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign