Re: Tracking Exempt Sources

In the State of Oregon, there is no such thing as an exempt source if you
are an institution that holds a broad license. The Radiation Control
Section required listing of ALL sources on the list of sealed sources, even
the teaching sources and Ba-137m generators. This has caused innumerable head-
aches trying to find all of those disk sources when it is license inspection
time. The rationale for this was that there was no assurance that a broad
licensee would not accumulate enough of these sources to exceed the exempt
amount. That was what I was told during inspections when I was RSO for a
college with many labs using radioactive materials.

Michael Kay
account located at
makay@reed.edu