Re: Accelerator Question

A handy reference for electron acclerators is IAEA publication 188 by W.
Swanson.  It contains some information on neutron production mechanisms such as
the quasi-deuteron, and provides a good list of references for further info.
My understanding of the effect is that at moderate energies (~50MeV - several
hundred MeV), this mechanism adds a "tail" of higher energy neutrons to the
fluence from the giant resonance.  The process involves interaction of high
energy photons with proton-neutron pairs (pseudo-deuterons) in nuclei, which
tends to yield (Y,np) reactions releasing neutrons.  Swanson's manual covers
this stuff pretty well without going into quantum mechanics.  I keep it nearby
at all times. (I work at an electron accelerator)