Re: New license questions

> Here at Idaho State Univ. we are a very recent convert from an
> agreement state license to an NRC license.  We have questions
> about the wording of two of the license conditions, and would
> appreciate any help/clarification the HP community could offer.

I dont think it should make a difference.  An agreement state follows the
NRC regs closely, and have similar conditions.

> Our question is, what is a 'detector cell'.

A detector cell is an ECD(Electron Capture Detector ) that is used in a
Gas Chromatograph ( for example, Nickel-63).

> statement. Are all sources that contain an alpha emitting isotope
> classified as alpha emitters, or do sources that have a thin membrane
> which allows alphas to escape fall into that category.  Reg Guide

Not all sources , just the ones that are designed to emit alphas. For
example, we have a Radium-226 source that is used in an Alpha Vacuum
Guage that we leak test every 3 months.

Hope that helps

Ninni Jacob
RSO, University of R.I.