New license questions

Here at Idaho State Univ. we are a very recent convert from an
agreement state license to an NRC license.  We have questions
about the wording of two of the license conditions, and would
appreciate any help/clarification the HP community could offer.

1.  One license condition refers to "a sealed source or detector cell
received from another person shall not be put into use until tested".
Our question is, what is a 'detector cell'.

2.  Another license condition states "sealed sources designed to emit
alpha particles shall be tested for leakage at intervals not to
exceede 3 months".  We have a problem with the 'designed to emit'
statement. Are all sources that contain an alpha emitting isotope
classified as alpha emitters, or do sources that have a thin membrane
which allows alphas to escape fall into that category.  Reg Guide
8.23 section 1.11(b) is not much help in the matter.  Currently we
leak test every source that contains an alpha emitting isotope on a
three month basis.

Thanks for the help

P.S.  Bruce email me your address again.  My last two messages did not
make it through