Waste reduction

To the RADSAFE Community:

Here at UC Santa Barbara, we are currently recharging research groups for
radioactive waste disposal.  Although we have an extensive decay-in-storage
program in place, many researchers are understandably trying to find ways to
reduce their waste budget.  For liquid waste specifically, some professors
have suggested evaporating aqueous waste in a fume hood, or aerating jugs of
waste throug a carbon filter.  Are other institutions allowing this type of
volume reduction?  If so, how heavily do you monitor the effluent and do you
allow anyone to do it or only on a case by case basis?  We would also be
interested in finding out what kind of problems in the labs (or with your
regulatory agency) have been experienced.  Thanks in advance for your input.

Roman Fail
Senior Radiation Technician
Environmental Health and Safety
University of California at Santa Barbara