Re: Intestinal Uptake

>I am involved in trying to determine what radioactive materials may
>have been used and if the study was "research" in two patients
>who were being treated for anemic conditions where it was thought
>that absorption of nutrients through the small intestines was impared.
>Both indicated a "radioactive isotope" was used.  One indicated radio-
>active fat and said she collected stool samples for a couple of days.
>The other indicated he was viewed by a fluoroscope (probably early
>NM device although possibly an image intensifier from a fluoro).
>This patient indicated that nothing was seen the first time and they
>tried again watching as he took it.  This patient was eventually
>operated on for Crones Disease.  Both were done circa 1957.
>
>Can anybody out there help with information?  It sounds a little like
>the infamous radioactive cerial at the home for the retarded.
>Does anybody have the specifics on that or can refer me to an article
>with the details of what actually was done?
>
>I don't beleive I have expressed any opinion here but if I have it's mine
>This request has not been reviewed by my supervisor or anybody else.
>
>Grateful appreciation to anybody that can help.
>
>Peter Vernig, VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. Denver CO 80220
>(303)-399-8020 x 2447, vernig.peter@forum.va.gov

        Iodinated oleic acid was used in the 50's to study malabsorption of
fats and fatty acids from the intestinal tract.  For Ref. check:
        1.  Berkowitz et al, Annals of Int. Med. 50:247/1959, Blood
Absorptive Patterns of Isotopically Labaled Fat and Fatty Acid
        2.   Ruffin et al, JAMA, 175:685/1961, Radioisotopes as Diagnostic
Aids in Gastroenterology.

Rod Ice
GaTech
ri7@acme.gatech.edu