Re: Research reactor surveys

I am afraid that I will agree with the NRC, at least on the metals. While
this is a low flux, long exposures of the materials such as lead or other
metals may build up removable activity on the surface. As far as the wood
and polyethylene go, it is not reasonable to expect any activity to build
up in these materials. The flux you quote is not high enough for rapid
build up of activity. A quick in the head calculation indicates that a micro
mole of say arsenic will produce about 600 dpm of arsenic activity at
equilibrium (about a week). You really have to stretch to call this
significant, but you wouldn't want to spread it around, especially if you did
low level counting.

Michel Kay