Response to Tosh Ushino Re Alpha Recoil

{Original Msg: 'Alpha emitters' from <root@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
{
{I recall having heard that transuranics (i.e. alpha emitters), if
{you leave a container open or if present as surface contamination,
{would disperse itself all over the place, while beta/gamma
{emitters would tend to stay put.  Transuranics are suppose to
{become dispersed because of recoil from alpha emissions, like a
{little rocket engine, would kick particles backwards.
{
{I recall that this was sort of like DOE tribal knowledge.  Does
{anyone recall having heard something like that?  Is there any
{studies you heard of that address this issue?
{
{Thank you in advance.
{Tosh Ushino
{SONGS
{
{

Can't help with references but it is for real.  I worked on a device
called the Alpha-X which used alpha excitation to excite low atomic
weight material to do x-ray fluorescence.  A major obstacle was how
to form a matrix to prevent recoil yet allow the alpha particles to
escape.  Don't believe it ever became a viable product mostly due
to high cost and limited market.

VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. MS 115
Denver, CO 80220; 303-399-8020 x2447 FAX 393-4656
FAX 303-393-4656, vernig.peter@forum.va.gov