Re: Alpha emitters

I recall having heard that transuranics (i.e. alpha emitters), if
you leave a container open or if present as surface contamination,
would disperse itself all over the place, while beta/gamma
emitters would tend to stay put.  Transuranics are suppose to
become dispersed because of recoil from alpha emissions, like a
little rocket engine, would kick particles backwards.

I recall that this was sort of like DOE tribal knowledge.  Does
anyone recall having heard something like that?  Is there any
studies you heard of that address this issue?

Thank you in advance.
Tosh Ushino
SONGS

This effect is called "aggregate recoil" and is seen not only in transuranics,
but in other heavy alpha emitters such as Po-210.  The major work on this was
done, I believe, by Ken Skrable in his Ph.D. thesis.  I would recommend
contacting him at University of Massachusetts, Lowell.

Good luck.

Gus Potter
Radiation Protection Internal Dosimetry
Sandia National Laboratories