Re: Gaussian Plume Model

On Fri, 28 Oct 1994, LUIS BENEVIDES wrote:

> Greetings to who may read this! I have a question concerning the gaussian

Most people have *lots* of questions regarding the gaussian plume model:-)

> plume model. Does the effective height of the plume take into account the

No - "effective height" is the physical height of the exhaust plus any
vertical component due to bouyancy (can rarely be negative) or exhaust
velocity.

> relative height of the receptor. In this I mean if there is rolling hills
> around the reactor, how does one take this into account. Please educate me!

Vertical structures, whether they are buildings, hills, or mountains,
disrupt the air flow to varying degrees.  Typically there is a volume of
compression on the windward side, and a volume of rarefaction on the
leeward for any situation where the air flow is not completely laminar.
Depending on the structure, there are also stagnation and recirculation
volumes.

(True laminar flow in the atmosphere near a surface occurs only at low wind
speeds across very smooth surfaces, such as a water body, when the
conditions are isothermal.  Of course, laminar flow occurs, and is
readily observed, within isothermal zones at altitude under highly stable
conditions.)

In the case of rolling hills, the *ratio* of measured downwind concentration
as a function of source release rate to the calculated value depends on
all the usual variables: stability, wind speed, and release height, as
well as slope, roundness, and dimensions of the hills.

For a discussion of these factors, go back to the source: _Meteorology
and Atomic Energy_.  The problem is not trivial, if you want to treat it
in more than just a cursory fashion.

Regards,

Rich Oesterling, CHP
ogr@inel.gov