Re: Below Radiation Oncologist What?

Mr Weaver,

My first question would be: What is the BS in?  There are a number of
Universities offering M.S. Health Physics degrees out there.  If qualified, it
would take about a year or two to get one.  Qualification often relies on the
undergraduate degree, or the course work taken (assuming the grades are
acceptable).  Emory University (Atlanta) is offering or  planning to offer a
MSHP degree that stresses medical physics.  I am not aware of the entry
requirments.  Some Universities require math through differential equations and
physics up to a "modern" physics course such as undergraduate level quantum
mechanics (with acceptable grades, >=B).  In addition, you will have to take the
GRE.  Students have been known to take these courses at a local University and
use this work to meet entrance requirements.  The amount of time depends on how
much preliminary work will be required to get into these courses.

This was my experience watching people attempt to get into the MSHP program at
Georgia Tech.  What I have written above should give you an idea of what is
required.  To get the real scoop, my recommendation would be to call or write
the Universities and ask them about their entrance requirments.  They will be
glad to hear from you.  Trust me.

Rob Gunter
ORNL