Re: NVLAP Accredited Labs

We at the Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility are in the process of
obtaining DOELAP accreditation; HOWEVER, we do not have our own dosimetry lab.
This sounds weird so let me explain.  In the past we used a NVLAP accredited
laboratory to do our processing.  This was fine. NVLAP is designed to accredit
the PROCESSOR of the dosimeter. Enter DOELAP. To become acredited, you have to
submit your entire dosimetry program to the accreditation process.  So
conceivably, your outside lab might pass the tests but the way you handle the
paperwork might be lousy, so you flunk.  I guess the idea is to evaluate the
big picture, and I can't say I argue with the intent.

I'm assuming that outside the DOE you can do your program with an outside lab
as long as that lab is NVLAP accr. and you are not subject to onsite evaluation
by NVLAP.  I think that's the way it's always been.

This information does not reflect the views of my employer.