on Computers and Public Policy, Peter G. Neumann, moderator [PGN]

Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 10:14:47 +0200
From: Yehuda Berlinger <yehuda@jerusalem1.datasrv.co.il> Subject: Virus
alert virus alert

I have been inundated with virus alerts. Somehow, this virus alert has been
propagating out of control. It must be a virus in the virus alert. (Note:I
don't mean to belittle the alert, but there must be some way of controlling
its propagation. I have received it 4 times now from different sources.)

>I have just received this message and been asked to take it >seriously:
>There is a virus on America Online being sent by E-Mail.  If you get
>anything called "Good Times", DON'T read it or download it.  It is a >virus
that will erase your hard drive.  Forward this to all your >friends.
>It may help them alot.

[I suppose you are lucky you only got 4 copies. But it appears to be a
complete hoax, as suspected by Rob Furr <rfurr@jazz.ncren.net>, who was
amused at the close timing of the AOL message and Michael Slavitch's item in
RISKS-16.60, and who added
There are idiots in the world who think it's awfully funny to cry "Wolf" as
soon as someone else notices that it's theoretically possible that wolves
exist.  Rob F.
PGN]

* Robert M. Loesch                                   *
* DOELAP Administrator     U.S. Department of Energy *
*                          EH-411, GTN, 270 CC       *
* (301) 903-4443   voice   Washington, DC  20585     *
* (301) 903-7773   fax                               *
*           email: loesch@viper.eh.doe.gov           *
   Random number generation is too important a task
                 to be left to chance!