Re: Warning e-mail viruses (Fwd)

>> A virus is circulating on the Internet.  If you receive a message with
>> the header "xxx-1" DO NOT READ IT.  Delete immediately or your disk will
>> require treatment by a virus-scanner.  I have had two copies of this

I've seen this hysteria too.  What is not stated is the platform this
"virus" is supposed to infect.  A cross platform virus - although
theoretically possible - is extremely improbable and would be very difficult
to write.

Also - in DOS it would be completely IMPOSSIBLE for a virus to infect your
system merely by reading a message.  Either A: - you would have to download
and decode and execute some code - OR the message would have some sort of
escape sequences that would redefine some key to cause the command to format
your harddrive to be entered instead of the intended character.  This too is
EASY to generically protect against!