Re: Washing waste glass/plastic

Bill Fendt wrote:

> We've been given a Hobart industrial dishwasher and are thinking of using
> it for waste reduction, i.e. washing of long half life glass and plastic
> items sorted out of the waste. . . .

I remember seeing an article in one of the journals (probably Health Physics
or J. Rad. Protect.) some time ago which addressed exactly this topic, as
well as reusing scintillation vials which have been washed. Unfortunately,
I'm not in my office so I can't look it up for you.  You might try running
an HP Quest search using "dishwasher" or somesuch as keyword, unless there's
an old-timer around online who recalls it.

There is something you should be aware of before investing a lot of time
(or $$) in this effort.  The NRC is actively re-evaluating the regulations
governing discharge of radioactivity to sanitary sewer systems.  There have
been a couple of incidents involving reconcentration of radioactivity in
sewer sludge.  This has prompted investigations of the current practices,
one by EPA and one by GAO at the request of Sen. John Glenn.  The rules may
change. Usually when they do, it's in the downward direction.  Maybe someone
on the centerline of this Info-Highway knows the status of this issue.

Disclaimer: The above opinions are strictly my own.  I may be wrong.  It
doesn't happen often, but . . .

---
Paul Ward
pward@iastate.edu